Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Patience

I think patience has always been a weakness of mine. I have always been one when told to jump, asks how high. Whenever I feel impressed to do something, I do it immediately. It has become a strength and a weakness. The weakness comes because I act so quickly, I expect others to do the same (including Heavenly Father). But the reality is things rarely happen when or how I want them to. A recent struggle has consisted of my patience being tested yet again. It's very difficult for me! I question a lot. I'm desperately working on becoming more patient and understanding, even when understanding is impossible in the present. Something which has helped me emensely is a talk by Pres. Dieter Uchtdorf given in the April 2010 General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are MANY things he said which have helped me in my quest. One of which is this, "The children of Israel waited 40 years in the wilderness before they could enter the promised land. Jacob waited 7 long years for Rachel. The Jews waited 70 years in Babylon before they could return to rebuild the temple. The Nephites waited for a sign of Christ’s birth, even knowing that if the sign did not come, they would perish. Joseph Smith’s trials in Liberty Jail caused even the prophet of God to wonder, 'How long?' In each case, Heavenly Father had a purpose in requiring that His children wait." It gives me hope to know that people, even prophets have struggled through trials and wondered when it would end. It gives me hope that I can become a better person, as they did. I know in whom I trust!